We decided to make our journey home from Hexham, Northumberland more interesting by taking a direction which would detour from the boring A1 (Great North Road) and take us via the east coast calling in at Redcar, Marsk, Saltburn and Whitby on the beautiful east coast of northern Britain extending our driving distance by only 10 or so miles but well worth it on what was a mix bag of weather all the way home, until Tadcaster area when the heavens opened and we had torrential rain the rest of the way home 40 miles or so.
Redcar means either place by the red marsh from the Old English “read” meaning red and Old Scandinavian “kjarr” or “reedy marshland”, referring to the low lying site by the sea that Redcar occupies. Redcar originated as a fishing town in the 14th century, trading with the larger adjacent towns Until the mid-19th century when it was a sub-parish of the of Marske-by-the-Sea mentioned in the Domesday Book. In 1846 work was completed on the Middlesbrough and Redcar Railway, created to attract tourism and trade. After the construction of Redcar Racecourse in 1875, Redcar prospered as a seaside town drawing tourists attracted by its racecourse, and it’s eight miles of sands.
Marske-by-the-Sea, a village in the authority of Redcar and Cleveland in the county of North Yorkshire, England. It is located on the coast, between the seaside resorts of Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea, and, although not a seaside resort itself, Marske is in the Civil Parish of Saltburn, Marske and New Marske comprising Longbeck and St Germains.
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, built on and around the cliffs of the Cleveland Hills coast, it’s development and that of Middlesbrough was driven by the discovery of iron stone and potash in the Cleveland Hills, The area is not unlike Whitby which lies further down the coast, with it’s steep cliffs and roads, The Saltburn tramway, as it is known, was developed by Sir Richard Tangye’s company chief engineer. The cliff tramway opened a year later and provided transport between the pier and the town. The railway is water-balanced and since 1924 the water pump has been electrically operated. The first major maintenance was carried out in 1998, when the main winding wheel was replaced and a new braking system installed.
Whitby built on each side of the river Esk, it’s pier follows the flow of the river heading directly north and giving exceptional light quality, ideal for artists and photographers. A place renown for it’s history of whaling, boat building and fishing for herring (Kippers when smoked) and of course the world famous explorer “Cpt James Cook”, the boats for local use were built with flat bottoms to enable landing on the beach so has to enable loading of “alum a natural element used in dying” and coal on dry land via horse and cart. Whitby also boasts the visit from Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” and it’s famous Abbey where the Synod of Whitby in 664 was held to establish the the Roman date for Easter. I cannot leave Whitby without a mention of the famous 19 century photographer Frank Meadow Sutcliffe who recorded the people of Whitby and surrounding area and their way of life in beautiful monochromatic photography.